- Cyber Security and Cyber Crimes
Cyber Security and Cyber Crimes
The modernisation of our world and its flaws have not failed the yachting world.All market participants are therefore forced to constantly improve their cybersecurity.
Cybercrime manifests itself with illegal and malicious access to a computer system withhackers penetrating through loopholes in the yacht’s security system: weak and centralised WIFI protection in one place, falsification of e-mails and fraudulent links, all ofwhich can lead to embezzlement and theft of sensitive passenger data (identity, banking, etc.). Thus, yachts seem like a perfect target for hackers : even more if the owners or guests are greatly renowned.
- Pay the greatest attention to the verification of bank details during yacht transactions or charters. Bank details must be verified on a phone callso as to have oral verification with an identifiable person. This particular vigilance must be applied both when funds must be received and when funds must be transferred. No transfer should be made without prior verification of bank details. Once the transfer has been made, it is necessary to get into the habit of tracking the funds and verifying that they arrive in the correct account. Once again, an oral verification or Whatsapp text (on a well-identified number) is essential. Be alert to any delays as atransfer should not take more than 1 or 2 days to arrive
- Choose an insurance with cybersecurity clauses
- Train the crew: careful use of social media (information about people on board, current or future locations) or even better, designate someone as the Cybersecurity Manager on board
- Warn the guests: careful use of social media, do not open suspicious emails and websites, do not connect external devices without authorization, limit online payments
- Reset the passwords of each device after each charter
Many participants in all fields have already been subjects of these kind of attacks, whether it is governments, the army, multinationals, hospitals; no one is safe against it. To be protected against these type of attacks vigilance, regular training and insurance coverage are the best weapons.
Published : 29th March 2022