- What Flag Should You Choose For Your Yacht ?
What Flag Should You Choose For Your Yacht ?
BGYB is pleased to present this article which highlights the importance of choosing the right flag for your yacht as well as some tips.
An Important Choice
The acquisition of a yacht is an important purchase involving a lot of thinking beforehand as to the choice of model, but also afterwards, as to the choice of the flag where your boat will be registered. According to the countries and their respective flags, the laws and rules differ regarding the technical, fiscal, social, financial responsibilities, and also regarding the inspections of the flag and its class. This can have a direct impact on the running costs, ease of use and navigation of the boat.
Here are some factors you should consider in your choice:
• Nationality and place of residence of the owner
• Consult the White List of the Paris Memorandum of Understanding on Port State Control (Paris MoU). The flags appearing on this list indicate a good level of security, political stability, environmental protection in the country and respect for the crews on board as well as tax advantages. Be careful, there is also a Gray and a Black List of flags with a bad reputation, which should be avoided of course.
• Planned navigation areas
• Private or commercial use (the rules are generally stricter for “commercial yachts”)
• Characteristics of the yacht: year of construction, length, class, compliance with the rules must be taken into account.
• VAT status.
• Nationality of the crew
The most chosen flags are often those linked to the Red Ensign (UK, Bermuda, Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey, Turks and Caicos, Isle of Man, British Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands), but also Malta or France for Europe and Hong Kong for Asia, because they are the most successful and recognized in the world.
It is therefore important to discuss your wishes and charge a professional of the task, who will help you find the flag that best suits your needs so that you can then fully enjoy your boat.
Please don't hesitate to check out our latest news !